"How Much of Me Does God own?" Deuteronomy 6:4-9

Challenged by how much more I could do as a Christian to make myself stand out from the world. Not as a boastful or showy demonstration, but as a life changed so thoroughly from within, that everyone whom God allows me to come into contact with has no doubt that it is Christ's power within my weakness that makes me strong! Nothing more. Absolutely in Christ Alone!











Monday, August 24, 2009

I Just Can't Seem to Quit

Why is it that when it comes to fleshly habits, routines or addictions (here after all are referred to as addictions-more or less they can all be categorized as such) it is difficult almost beyond physical ability, to overcome them. Just getting to the point of being willing to want to stop smoking, drink less, eat better, or watch less is a feat in itself. Once the decision for improvement is finally made, the plan for execution is created, and a time frame established, ACTION is required. But for some reason, it is not uncommon for us to need to start over and even re-vamp our strategy before we find the type of success we dreamed up in our head.

And while it is possible to make progress, change habits, and break free of addictions (one of the greatest success stories belongs to my grandfather-to be shared in a later post), the feeling that "I just can't seem to quit" often leads the charge and postpones the want to attitude which is the muscle of change.

"I just can't seem to quit...smoking."

"I just can't seem to quit...staying up too late."

"I just can't seem to quit...drinking one too much."

"I just can't seem to quit . . ." you fill in the blank.

Why can we rationalize the difficulties in "quitting," while at the same time we can't start other things, like memorizing scripture, choosing church over sports, family over work, or devotions over tv or a good book?

What transformation could take place in our lives if instead of spending so much effort on physically overcoming something in the flesh, we were so passionate for the things of God that we were addicted to His Word, His will, His church, and His Spirit until it began to squeeze the desires of the flesh out of our lives just because there wasn't room?

Could we, then, have the following problems:

"I just can't seem to quit reading my Bible."

"I just can't seem to quit reciting that scripture."

"I just can't seem to quit bringing Jesus up in conversation throughout the day" ?

The cry of my heart is to pant for God's Word like a deer pants for water. That I can't sit still until I've met with Him in person. That my day doesn't seem right until I've showered my soul with His Spirit. That I can't possibly go to bed without one more glass of His grace. To seek Him until "I just can't seem to quit."

Psalm 42:1 "As a deer pants for flowing streams,
so pants my soul for you, O God."

No comments: