"How Much of Me Does God own?" Deuteronomy 6:4-9

Challenged by how much more I could do as a Christian to make myself stand out from the world. Not as a boastful or showy demonstration, but as a life changed so thoroughly from within, that everyone whom God allows me to come into contact with has no doubt that it is Christ's power within my weakness that makes me strong! Nothing more. Absolutely in Christ Alone!











Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Making Good Decisions

I read a bit of a cyber friend's blog this morning where she confirmed that I am not the only one who is afraid of failing, or making the wrong decision, and on top of that, try everything possible not to make choices that will cause me to fail, regret, or be discouraged.

Although I've had many, two decisions in particular come to mind when I reflect upon past forks-in-the-road, and the tiring mental/spiritual tennis match that accompanies the effort to make the right decision:
1.) What to do after college
2.) Am I suposed to marry Justin Copling.

In both cases, I am thankful to say I have no regrets, and am also grateful for the wisdom of friends and family that helped me pray, decipher, and come to a healthy decision. Their wise counsel has stuck with me to this moment.

The question of "how do I know God's will?" is one that every Christian faces continually throughout his life. When we focus on our end of the situation-how it will affect us, what happens if I don't like the decision once it's made, what will people think of me-it is a daunting task. Pretty much impossible because of all the factors and people involved in our situation.

What many people don't realize is that it doesn't have to be so complicated. When our focus is on God and obeying what we know He has already told us to do, the unknown pieces do fall into place. Often the hard part is fighting our selfish urge to know NOW instead of waiting on God.

Our pastor spoke on Proverbs 3:5-6 this weekend, and while I took enough notes to practically repeat the sermon here, I will simply share the application he gave: tests for good decision making.

1. Scriptural test: Has God already spoken about it in His Word?
2. Secrecy test: Would it bother me if everyone knew this was my choice?
3. Survey test: What if everyone followed my example?
4. Spiritual test: Am I being pressured or Spirit-led?
5. Stumbling test: Could this cause another person to stumble?
6. Serenity test: Have I prayed and received peace about the decision?
7. Sanctification test: Will this keep me from growing in the character of Christ?
8. Surpreme test: Does this glorify God?
9. Significance test: If it passes all the other tests, and you love Jesus more than anything and want to please Him, than make the choice and go for it! (Decisions do exist that have no direct right or wrong)

We must know God and trust Him if we are to know His will. Put those things in order, and He will make our paths straight.

Several of the tests above helped me with my decision to move to Texas after college as well as my decision to marry Justin (one of the best decisions I've EVER made). Have you used any of these tests in your decision making? Is it hard to wait on God when you're praying about a decision?

Please share any lessons you've learned in decision making-whether good or bad!

No comments: