"How Much of Me Does God own?" Deuteronomy 6:4-9

Challenged by how much more I could do as a Christian to make myself stand out from the world. Not as a boastful or showy demonstration, but as a life changed so thoroughly from within, that everyone whom God allows me to come into contact with has no doubt that it is Christ's power within my weakness that makes me strong! Nothing more. Absolutely in Christ Alone!











Sunday, May 23, 2010

Excuse me while I enjoy some good schmooz...

Sometimes I am starkly reminded of the reason I was an English Major in College. Not only do I love to read and write, but I also just have a love of words, different languages and how they relate to one another.

During my weekly Starbucks study session this morning (perhaps a future blog on this in general), I finished one of the most unique and educational books I have read for fun in a long time. It is well marked up, and will remain on my resource shelf for easy access: too much to remember, but so much that I wish I did.

The book, entitled Jewish Culture & Customs: A Sampler of Jewish Life, takes the reader through a top level review of all things Jewish. The last chapter covers some popular Yiddish words that are common amongst the Jewish people. Granted, some of these have made their way into our English language and some have not. Some, we have in our English vocabulary but with completely different meanings.

I am going to include several of my favorites below. Hopefully you will get a kick out of some of them as I did, and don’t be surprised if I use them in a future conversation with you!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bashert (Ba-SHERT): A common expression heard from the lips of Jewish people, “What will be will be.”

Boobe (BOO-bee): An affectionate term, similar to darling or honey. -
This makes my top favorite list

Chutzpa (HOOT-spa): Having guts, gall, nerve or arrogance.

Ferblonjet (Fer-BLON-jet): Confused

Fermished (Fer-MISHED): Bewildered

Fress/Fresser (FRES-ser): To eat a lot; one who eats a lot (in enjoyment).

Mazel Tov (MAZ-el Tov): An expression of good luck or congratulations. –
Anyone in the mood for “Fiddler on the Roof”?

Mensch (like- Bench): A good person; one who is helpful and kind –
for Christians, Jesus is the ultimate Mensch-He did what He knew He was to do at all times: the will of His Father. This too, should be our goal.

Nosh/Noshing: A Snack/snacking

Schmooz (SHMOO-ze): Friendly chatter. -I enjoy a good nosh and schmooz with friends!

Yente (YEN-tee): A gossipy woman.

No comments: