"How Much of Me Does God own?" Deuteronomy 6:4-9

Challenged by how much more I could do as a Christian to make myself stand out from the world. Not as a boastful or showy demonstration, but as a life changed so thoroughly from within, that everyone whom God allows me to come into contact with has no doubt that it is Christ's power within my weakness that makes me strong! Nothing more. Absolutely in Christ Alone!











Friday, February 13, 2009

Cinquain and Shopping Pain

My sweet husband has planned our valentine night on his own, and I asked him not to tell me what we were doing so it could be a surprise. All I requested was that he let me know how to dress!

He responded that I should wear the little black dress he gave me for my birthday, (necessitating the purchase of new shoes since my good heels broke in January), which in turn led to a shopping trip last night. What a bummer: a real need to shop for shoes :)

We embarked on our shoe hunt together and tackled 3 stores before we were done. I usually know what I am looking for, get it, and get out. However, I was battling the desire to play it safe (plain black heels, classy, but ordinary) and get really sassy (red pumps, or other fancy display). Tough decision for a traditionally, "don't draw attention" Kari.

The first store had both red and black. But I couldn't convince myself that I could pull of the red shoes. I really wanted a pewter heel to compliment such a classy dress, and I refused to settle at just one store.

We ventured to another store (found a brown pair that I loved, but had nothing to do with my formal attire) as well as two possibilities. Still not convinced, we walked to a last store and found the third, completely different option.

Here's the deal: All three were pretty. Two pairs of high heals--one shiny black, and the other tri-colored (black/silver/white) with an aesthetic color overlap. The third pair had a shorter heel, and was an open toe, strappy dress sandal with tastefully placed diamonds: silver.

My husband tried to follow my desperate thought patterns: "It's a short dress that really needs a heel. But the silver is classy. Yet, they cost too much! I could get the black and white and silver ones for a lot less. And when would I wear these silver shoes again? But they are so pretty! I don't know, I really think I need a taller heel."

In the end, I decided I simply could not be at peace with any one shoe until I had seen it with the dress. We bought all three (the silver costing more than the other two together) and I will try them on tonight with the dress, and take two out of the three back to the store on Sunday!

In an effort to express my shopping pains, I have written the following poem (Cinquain):


Heels
stylish, uncomfortable
accessorize, decorate, transfigure
every black dress necessity
femenine

2 comments:

*Lora said...

I have the brown ones. They are the most uncomfortable shoes after 2 days :) BUT they're cute enough to be worth it.

Anonymous said...

I did take my two pair back, but left the brown ones on the shelf...I'm glad someone can be cute int hem :) I always wear shoes because they are cute even when they aren't comfortable. Maybe I'll pay for it in the long run, but right now, I'm happy :)